Did you know that the insurance industry can tell you what the most common claims are for each month? Insurance companies keep very accurate and detailed records of when claims occur and what kinds of claims occur in what month. We thought it might be informative to let you know what kinds of claims occur in the next few months.
- Rear-end collisions. These occur more in the fall due to changing weather and increased rain. If you’re following a car, leave at least four seconds of time between you and the car in front of you if going 45 mph.
- Water damage. Damage as a result of rain or freezing pipes, occurs more often between October and December than in any of the other months.
- Fires from candles, cooking, and fireplaces caused over 45% of the home fires in the fall months. According to Ready.gov, more than 2,500 people lose their lives in house fires each year, and another 12,600 are injured.
- Theft from vehicles. From October through December, more cars are broken into at shopping malls, due to increased holiday shopping. Always place your packages out of ight in the trunk when going back and forth from your car to the stores.
- Snow, ice and rain accidents. Winter weather, even in warmer parts of the country, creates increased hazards and accidents. 37% of all skidding and snow claims occur between October and December.
- Home burglaries increase about 33% during the fall. Keep your doors locked, use motion detectors, and turn on your home alarm.
- Accidents involving animals. The fall is prime time for deer and other animals to be moving, and often they are on the roads. Pay attention especially in the early morning and early evening.